Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Passing thoughts

I'd browsed through a few pages of this book a few years ago but never got to finish it or grasp its essence. Yesterday afternoon, when i opened this book and glanced at the introduction, this passage caught my eye--

"For nearly two years, i lived a very difficult life with no job, no relations, no home and no proper social identity. I'd sit on park benches but living in a state of indescribable ecstacy"

He is speaking of his state of being when, after an intense turmoil and suffering, he accidentally experiences the ultimate, what the mystics call as Samadhi. And the rest of his experiences and the essence of his philosophy and teaching-- he has put together in this book-- 'The Power of Now'.

Started reading this and will write more about it subsequently.

*
I need the comfort of a group, however much i may deny it or assert the powerfulness of my personality and individualness. I need friends and people who value me and have faith in my abilities. Though i've been a kind of loner all along, i feel restless without this recognition and acceptance of peers. Is this a negative trait or an acceptable positive quality found in most of us?
Sometimes mom talks of death, her death, in a matter of fact manner. Last week i told her that i'm going to buy a new tv set for myself and archana, because we don't get to see our favourite programmes( Mom and dad are glued in front of the tv in the living room on all days on prime time, watching their favourite serials). Mom said:-'Wait for some years, and then you can have this tv for yourself.'

It's funny--once you grow old, you think of death, your death but when you're young, it's never in your mind. Maybe it's a universal thing, i don't know. But does death happen that way--old people first and then younger ones as they grow old? Do we know when and where exactly death awaits us? Can i tell with absolute certainty if i'll be alive to see the sunset, today evening?

Death is the most fascinating thing that we never give a second thought to. Maybe our life and values acquire a whole new meaning if we consider the inevitability of death--ours and those of others we know-- and keep the awareness of death at the back of our minds always.

*
And yeah, Dilip has so much good writing on his blog and such an array of fantastic links that i wish i had all the time in the world to read all of it. Ditto with Jay.

*
It's Valentine's today. Nick wrote something interesting about it a few days ago and some of us responded. Hope he has a great time.
Can't think of anyone in India writing a post like nick did. We are still shackled in traditional shit.
Amidst Sena and bhajrang dal goons who've sworn to restore our sacred (?) tradition and punish all those who celebrate Valentines day, the need of the hour is to keep our heads cool and hearts warm. Let all these thugs hang themselves with their rubbish. Let there be love flowing between all of us, all the time.
*

Two things struck me yesterday, the impact of which is yet to sink in deeply. One is this:

"There's an immense world out there--the astral world-- unknown to most of humanity. We are only beginning to open our eyes to this new phenomenon. Many people who've touched this dimension or experienced it are writing about it--we need to read that literature. What we know as reality is only the tip of an iceberg---the real is huge and immense, beyond our wildest imagination. We need to get in touch with this Reality."

The other one, most of us know :

"A kind of blind faith--- we need to have this in our Spiritual master. The faith a child has in its mother--it will eat anything given by the mother even if it's poison.

"There's a very painful incident. We had two dogs and once they were struck with some rare disease, which would kill them bit by bit. The doctor suggested that we put the dogs to sleep, permanently. So there we were, standing with the leathal injection in hand. I called the dog, and it walked up to me with so much love, as if i was calling it to caress its back, not knowing that we were going to kill it."

10 comments:

  1. "The Power of Now" - now there's a book that is deceptively simple. Yet describes enlightnement in a way that makes one realise it is possible, right now, in this life.

    I sometimes just need to read one sentence to restore inner calm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death is universal—we all will experience it. Yet, for the most part, in my country people try to ignore its reality. More than ignore—deny. This is especially true of the so-called “Baby Boomer” generation, of which I am one of the oldest. For the most part, it is not only death they are trying to avoid but also growing old. We can’t dodge either.

    My mother, too, speaks of death, but in a guilt-provoking way: “You’ll be sorry when I am gone.”

    Thanks for your words about my post, which I assume was the one entitled “Alone on Saint Valentine’s Day.” As I wrote last night and again in my post “A Valentine Birthday Log Blog” I spent time with the woman with whom I wanted to spend time today. Yet it was a bittersweet time. She shall soon be out of life and into the life of a guy with much more money than I have.

    I need to learn more about Samadhi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Power of Now rocks!!

    Read that last year!

    makes ya feel good.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val... A friend recommended this book and i'm hooked within the first few pages.
    Ultimately it's the practice and concrete action that can take anyone up the path towards enlightenment. Such books can inspire us to take action but it's a pity that most people stop only at getting inspired and never take the actual step. Otherwise, with such books becoming international bestsellers, we should've had many more enlightened souls all over the world.

    Nick...it's the same here as well. Nobody acknowledges death---forget acknowledging, it's a sin to even talk about it.
    In our mythology there's a story. A divine being asks a man--'What's the greatest miracle on earth?'
    and the reply is : 'Man knows that he's going to die someday, but he lives as if there's no death for him.' It's so true, isn't it?
    It's sickening to read about people who trade relationships for money. Have seen some of them. They end up in grief, eventually.
    Samadhi, i've learnt, is our original state of living, which we've lost touch with. We are moving back to that divine state. My aim in the path of spirituality is to reach that state and live in that heightened awareness. Will write more about it subsequently.
    Hope you and alex are well and dandy now.

    Jen...Yup it's kinda rocking. And Nice drawings and pics on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vishwa, are you familiar with the work of Joseph Campbell? He spent his life studying the myths and legends of the world. A few years ago I was given a VHS tape of an interview with Campbell just prior to his death. In response to the question “what is the most meaningful learning you have obtained from your studies,” he replied something like, “as we grow older, we cease to function a bit at a time—our eyesight and hearing gets worse, we lose strength in our limbs, etc. Each time I note that I can no longer do something I did when I was younger, I thank that function for its past service, and say good-bye. Little by little age takes its toll of us, until we are ready for death.”

    I think Campbell’s observation is accurate. I wonder about those who refuse to accept the aging process through their denial of their own death. I think that would make for a difficult time of dying.

    My friend, Clair, has always looked for an “easy” way to solve her problems. This guy she says she is going to marry has promised her the funds she needs to fight her ex-husband for custody of her two youngest children if she marries him. Unfortunately, the expected money is based upon his scamming an insurance company. I believe both of them will be disappointed. However, Clair ignores my warning in her pipe dream of getting her children back.

    Thank you for the additional information about Samadhi. I understand (as best I can) the concept.

    Alex and I are doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reflective as usual ........
    hey how u doing vishwa.........

    will go thru dilip's blog and the links really tempt me now that u say that now .........

    not able to blog hop these days and feeling very bad about the whole thing.feels like a part of me has been doing nothing worthwhile .....

    have a nice weekend
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick....Is he the author of 'The Hero with a thousand faces'? I'd read this book in parts some 5 years ago. Apart from that, i'm not familiar with any of his works, but now you've hooked me with a good bait. I'll make sure to read him. What a fantastic description that was about growing old!!!

    About Claire---it's really touching. When you first mentioned about the woman in your life who's after a guy with more money, i commented in haste, not knowing these details. I think i've to apologise for that.
    Life is so complex and strange at times yet it's also paradoxically simple. I've seen this complexity in relationships among some of my relatives and at some point, you can't accurately say who's right and who's wrong---all seem to be victims of some strange fate, suffering their parts in their drama of life. I feel shocked for clair and her boyfriend as well.
    And it's so good that more and more people--particularly youngsters--are turning towards spirituality. There seems to be a new awakening in human consciousness and by this i definetly don't mean the boom in Yoga business that's evident worldwide. Such spiritual awakening seems to happen very privately and individually, away from the arclights and all hoopla. I sincerely wish you could meet someone like my master.
    Your posts of late are really heartwarming.
    Take care and my hi to Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ash.... how are ya? Busy with work or still in valentines mood ;-)?
    Worry not about not being regular with blogging. Nowadays i'm so tied up with work that all i can manage is to sneak a peek into blogosphere every now and then and rush back to work. And you don't really need to force yourself to write something unless you absolutely feel the need to. Sometimes reading other's blogs sparks off good ideas and you only need to 'incubate' it for a while to write something good.
    Dilip writes fantastically--read the award winning travelogue on his blog--simply superb. And yeah, he gets attacked for his views---recently he commented on Mohammeds cartoons in his blogspace and soon there were scores of people at his neck.
    Happy weekend to you as well. Good that bhanu is back.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Campbell wrote “'The Hero with a Thousand Faces.” His studies of myths and legends are excellent. I’ve learned a lot from him.

    Clair story is tragic in many ways. I love her dearly, yet I know I can’t save her from her passion to get her children back. Her ex-husband pulled a very nasty set of legal maneuvers and she has lacked the money to fight him. When we were together tonight, she said she is having second thoughts about marrying her “dude.” I’ll continue to stand by her no matter what, but that’s just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you have said about the astral world is very true. Very little is known about our inner selves compared to our exrernal world. That is why applied spirituality always lags behind applied science. So much so that some people languish for lifetime in the wrong professions becasue they don't know where their potential lies.

    ReplyDelete